IN YOU GO! A year or two in the life of a scout leader is about the first couple of years that John Hemming-Clark recently spent as a scout leader in Chislehurst, Kent, England at a time of life when some are maybe starting to think about putting their feet up.
His trials and tribulations as he seeks to learn the ropes with only the most essential training to help him, that and his life experiences, are written about in hilarious detail.
Troop meetings, hikes, camps, excursions, his relationship with beavers, cubs and explorers as well as girl guides, leaders, trainers and managers are all included.
- how John became a leader after having been sacked as a scout committee chairman
- his first troop meeting with just one scout, until three girls turned up
- a camping training weekend when John's past finally caught up with him
- the infamous hammock camp when a tsunami appeared out of nowhere
- the summer camp when a girl guide welly stick was liberated for the day, only to find out that it wasn't actually what the scouts thought it was
- a trip to Bewl Water reservoir when an alternative toilet was discovered
- a hike when some scouts took up smoking
- a winter camp where John was led very astray
- the day Bear Grylls ran over his 'phone
- the beavers' Nativity play when one boy stole the show
- why one team came last on Monopoly on the Run
- a family camp when a cub's parents disgraced themselves
- the resuscitation evening when Little Annie came into her own, despite being a dummy
- an Outdoor Challenge badge weekend when John went home with only one welly
- when the scouts made "non-alcoholic" cocktails with a secret ingredient
- the April Fool's Day activity badge that the scouts actually completed
- the day the scouts hiked along a sewer
- the day John nearly died whilst white water rafting with the devil
- the camp where a girl guide won the "best scout" award
- the day when a Swedish girl guide and John both had "heart attacks" after a Brown Owl's dinner was bombed
- a shopping trip to a reservoir
- and much, much more
The book is available to purchase from the Scouting Radio store. Purchase through us to add a small donation to keeping our station broadcasting 24 hours a day. John donates a percentage of his profits to disadvantaged Scout groups in his area.